Regimental Service No. 730434

Early Years

Charles Thompson Daniells was born March 21st, 1897 in Haysville. He was a woodcarver by trade and was not married. His recorded next-of-kin was his father Thomas Daniells and mother Annie Maria Daniells. He was age 19, 6 feet ¼ inch tall, had a fair complexion, blue eyes and light brown hair. He had a pockmark in front of his left ear. His religious affiliation was the Church of England.

Military Years – overview

He signed his attestation papers in New Hamburg, where he was then living, on January 27th, 1916. HIs attesting commanding officer was Lieut. Col. J. Clarke, of the 111th South Waterloo, Overseas Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force. Most of the recruits from the Wilmot area were first placed in the 111th Battalion. After they arrived overseas, they were often transferred into different battalions. The reason for splitting men up, later in the war, was so that when Battalion suffered many casualties at once, there were not as many deaths to be reported to a single community. The losses and accompanying grief were spread out over many communities and the effect on morale “at home” did not suffer as much.

Charles Daniells’ unit sailed on the S.S. Tuscania from Halifax on September 26th, 1916. It arrived in Liverpool, England October 6th, 1916. During July 1916, while still in Canada, he was charged with being away without leave” and was forfeited 7 days pay. On October 8th he was transferred to the 17th Reserve battalion at E. Sandling station and immediately taken “on strength”. On October 13th he was re-transferred to the 111th S.W. Overseas Battalion at E. Sandling. That same day, October 13th he was transferred to the 35th Reserve Battalion at W. Sandling station, and taken “on strength” on the 14th. On November 12th, 1916 he was transferred to the 4th Battalion (Central Ontario), and was sent to France on November 14th, and arrived with his unit [unspecified] at C.B.D. (Canadian Battalion Depot) on November 30th and with the 4th battalion in “the field” on December 3rd, 1916.

On April 15th, 1917, he was diagnosed with “trench foot” at the No. 7 Canadian General Hospital at Etaples, France. and was transferred from Newhaven to the 1st Central Ontario Regimental Depot (CORD) at Shorncliffe. On April 20th, 1917 he was at the No. 4 Gen. Hospital at Lincoln and transferred overseas (from the 4th Battalion in Europe) to the 1st Canadian Command Depot, via W. Sandling, to St Leonard at W. Sandling and to a convalescent hospital in Uxbridge on April 27th, 1917. On June 22nd, 1917 he was discharged from Uxbridge back to his unit in the 4th Battalion. By August 28th, 1917 he was transferred from the 1st Canadian Command Depot St Leonards to the 3rd Reserve Battalion.

On March 11th, 1918 Charles was now with the 3rd Reserve Battalion and he was given permission at Wetley to get married. He had 57 days of married life with his new wife. On May 7th, 1918 he was transferred back overseas to France rejoining the 4th Battalion. On September 2nd, 1918, Charles Thompson Daniells was killed in France.

Official records indicated that at the time of his death Charles Daniells was married, and his medals and decorations were sent to his widow, Mrs. Constance H. Daniells, with her name crossed out and corrected as Mrs. Constance W. Diamond. [Did that mean that his widow had remarried when this record was updated on July 30, 1929? 57 days of married life is not very long, really.] His will, signed before he went overseas, left his assets to his mother.

Military Experiences – combat

Charles Thompson Daniells was killed on September 2nd, 1918 while serving in the 4th (Central Ontario) Battalion in France.